ESOL Lesson Plans
- EL/Civics Lesson Plan Collection contains hundreds of Ohio Aspire teacher-created lesson plans aligned to EL/Civics Objectives and the 2006 Ohio Aspire ESOL Standards and Benchmarks.
- ELCivics.com contains EL Civics lessons for ESL students on government and history, holidays, and workplace literacy. The site adds new lessons, worksheets, PowerPoint presentations, videos each week. New features include eBooks and Literacy for Work lessons.
- ODHE Approved Lesson Plan Template
Designing a Lesson
- ELLU: Principles of Second Language Teaching: Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction is an online course with a component on planning lessons that integrate communication skills with life skills, work-readiness, and civics content. Register in the PD System on the self-directed page under ESOL.
- Lesson Flow is a framework for lesson planning to help teachers create consistent lessons that are engaging for students. Included is a listing of instructional strategies to enhance the lesson and students’ learning experience.
- Lesson Plan Template is the ESOL template that can be used for Ohio Aspire ESOL lesson plans.
- Lesson Plan Rubric
- Practitioner Toolkit: Working with Adult English Language Learners created by the Center for Applied Linguistics contains a section on Lesson Planning in Part II Activity Packets which includes lesson components, stages and considerations.
- Teaching ESL to Adults: Classroom Approaches in Action Volume One video featuring Lesson Planning for Life Skills. The video lesson outlines the stages of a lesson and allows you to view each stage in action. Register in the PD System on the self-directed page under ESOL.
- TEAL Effective Lesson Planning contains the process of planning effective lessons using the WIPPEA Model.
- Instructional strategies is a list of strategies created through Literacy International’s ESL by Design approach to teaching adult ESL.
- Supports and Scaffolding Recommendations Appendix C of the English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards for Adult Education report.
- Assessing Life Skill Performance Objectives using a tools and techniques chart.
- 53 Ways to Check for Understanding from Edutopia
- Formative Assessment Strategies including tools for formative assessment, techniques to check for understanding and processing activities.
- Tools for Formative Assessment
- ESOL Instructional Websites for teachers to use in planning lessons and for students to continue their learning.
- Ohio Aspire ESOL Standards and Benchmarks Progression Tables are the current content standards for planning, teaching and assessing what students should know and be able to do.
- Ohio Aspire PDN Library is the Professional Development Network’s lending library system with over 12,000 resources available. A How-to guide and library policies are included.